PLEASE BEWARE: We have received reports of an increase in fraudulent imposter calls. Please be cautious when receiving calls demanding payment. Scammers are currently spoofing the numbers they're calling from, including displaying CPS Energy telephone numbers. Scammers establish bogus call back numbers that have recordings claiming to be CPS Energy. Don't be fooled.
Learn how to protect yourself from scammers by reviewing the reminders listed below. You can check your account balance on Manage My Account. Be sure that you only make payments over the phone by calling our Pay-By Phone numbers listed below. Never pay using a pre-paid debit card, gift card or money card obtained at a retail store.
- We will never call to demand payment and threaten same day disconnection. We may call with a reminder that you have a past due balance and are at risk for service disconnection.
- We will never ask for your banking or credit card information.
- The only way to make a payment by phone is for you to call our authorized payment numbers, 877-257-1172 for residential and 855-290-7615 for commercial. We will never call you from these payment numbers.
- We will never transfer your call to a representative to take your payment.
- We will never ask for you to make a payment with a gift card, money card, or prepaid credit card.
- We encourage you to use Manage My Account to view your bills, balance due, and much more.
If you receive a call telling you to call a number to make a payment:
- Hang up!
- Record the phone number the person is telling you to call back. Do not trust that the number is a CPS Energy phone number because it probably is not.
- Report the phone numbers to our Customer Service at 210-353-2222 for residential and 210-353-3333 for commercial customers.
If you have fallen victim to a scam:
- Call local law enforcement.
- If you feel you are in immediate danger, please call 911.
Remember these rules about payment by phone:
- Payment will always be initiated by you, the customer.
- Make a payment to our Pay-by-Phone payment processor at the following numbers ONLY:
- Residential Customers: 1-877-257-1172
- Commercial Customers: 1-855-290-7615
How to distinguish in-person CPS Energy employees from imposters:
- Company vehicles have a CPS Energy logo, and employees wear uniforms with our logo and will have an I.D. badge with their employee number
- Even our contractors are readily identifiable and have our badges
- In most cases, you will receive advance notice if we plan to do extensive work in your neighborhood
- Employees will almost never ask to come inside your home
- Employees will almost never ask you to come outside
If, on the rare occasion, a CPS Energy employee comes to your door:
- Ask to see the employee's I.D. badge and employee number
- Employee badges DO NOT have the CPS Energy logo
- Verify employment with the employee number from the badge by calling our CPS Energy Security Hotline at 210-353-4000
If you suspect someone of stealing utility services, please report this suspicious activity anonymously using our online form: Report Utility Service Theft.