Artificial lighting consumes almost 15 percent of a household's electricity use. According to ENERGY STAR, replacing the bulbs in your home’s five most-frequently-used light fixtures with high efficiency bulbs can save you as much as $70 a year.
Here are some ways you can reduce the cost of lighting your home:
- Consider energy-saving LED or CFL light bulbs.
- Turn off overhead lights and lamps when you leave a room.
- Open blinds and curtains on energy-efficient, north-facing and south-facing windows to let in sunlight.
- Use a timer to turn lights on and off, especially outside security lights, at pre-determined times.
- Consider an ENERGY STAR-qualified outdoor fixture for outside security lights and porch lamps.
- Try motion-detector lighting for outside lights.