Safety Around My Home

Be safe around electricity and natural gas

Electricity and natural gas are as safe as they are convenient. But it’s important to use caution around energy sources. Consider these simple tips:

  • Avoid power lines, while digging or doing yard work. Call 811 before you dig! 
  • Avoid all downed power lines and report them immediately. 
  • Take immediate action if you smell gas or your pilot light won’t come on. Get out first and then CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector near areas where your family sleeps. If you suspect carbon monoxide is in your home, open windows for ventilation and shut off your furnace and other fuel-burning appliances. Call CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP).
  • Protect children by installing safety covers over unused electrical outlets. Always use the recommended bulb wattage. Keep cords in good working condition.